Bajrang Punia and Ravi Dahiya clinched bronze at the World Championships in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan. Earlier Indian wrestler VineshPhogat, defeated Greece’s two-time world bronze medalist Maria Prevolaraki and won a bronze medal in the women’s 53kg category at the “2019 World Wrestling Championships” .
- Bajrang defeated Mongolian Tulga Tumur Ochir.
- This is Bajrang’s 3rd World Championship medal after winning silver in 2018 and bronze in 2013 in Budapest.
- Dahiya beat Iran’s reigning Asian champion Reza Ahmadali Atrinagharchi.
- Both sealed a spot at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in 65 kg category (Bajrang) and 57 kg (Ravi) category by qualifying for the bronze medal round.
- India’s medal count has increased to three medals with Vinesh Phogat winning bronze in the women’s 53kg category.
- The last time when India won 3 medals in the WC was in 2013 (Amit Dahiya, Bajrang Punia and Sandeep Tulsi Yadav).