United Nations Public Service Day is celebrated around the world on 23rd June. The day celebrates the value and virtue of public service to the community; highlights the contribution of public service in the development process; recognizes the work of public servants, and encourages young people to pursue careers in the public sector.
- The United Nations Public Service Forum (UNPSF) 2019 is taking place in the Republic of Azerbaijan from 24 to 26 June 2019, under the theme ‘Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals through effective Delivery of Services, Innovative Transformation and Accountable Institutions’.
- On 20 December, 2002, the United Nations General Assembly designated 23 June every year to observe as United Nations Public Service Day by passing a resolution 57/277. Various events are organised to highlight the contributions done by public servants.
- No doubt democracy and successful governance can’t be achieved without public service or public administration.
- Let us tell you that at the same time Africa Public Service Day is also celebrated in Africa to coincide with the United Nations Public Service Day.
- This day is celebrated by various public service organisations and departments around the world by organising several events to recognise the role of public servants in making developments and improvements in the community.