The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) honoured Dr Pramod Kumar Mishra, Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, with the ‘Sasakawa Award 2019 for Disaster Risk Reduction’.
The theme of the Sasakawa Award 2019 was ‘Building Inclusive and Resilient Societies’. Under this theme, the UNDRR received over 60 nominations from over 30 countries.
Sasakawa Award :
• The Sasakawa Award is the most prestigious award of the United Nations in the area of Disaster Risk Management.
• Instituted 30 years back, the award is jointly organised by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) and the Nippon Foundation.
• The winners of the award can be either organisations or individuals who are bestowed with a grant of USD 50000 as the award prize.
Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction :
• The Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction is a multi-stakeholder forum held every other year to deliberate on latest developments, exchange of information, and knowledge and partnership across sectors.
• The forum aims to improve implementation of disaster risk reduction strategies through better communication and coordination amongst stakeholders.
• It provides strategic guidance to the governments, NGOs, scientists, and UN organisations for the implementation of global disaster risk reduction agreements: 2005 Hyogo Framework for Action and Sendai Framework.
• The first session was held in the year 2007.