Indian actress Dia Mirza and Alibaba co-founder Jack Ma have been appointed by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres as the new advocates for the UN’s ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The key role of the SDG advocates would be to raise awareness, inspire greater ambition, solidify global political will and push for faster action on the Sustainable Development Goals.
• The Indian Actress, Dia Mirza has been the UN Environment Program Goodwill Ambassador for India.
• On the other hand, Alibaba co-founder and Executive Chairman Jack Ma has been an SDG Advocate since 2016.
• According to the United Nations, the new class of SDG advocates will be driven by the key principles of the SDGs, which include peace, prosperity, people, planet, and partnerships.
• In order to build the momentum for transformative, inclusive development by 2030, the SDG Advocates would be required to use their unique platforms and leadership to inspire cross-cutting mobilization of the global community.
• The advocates have been tasked with driving action, building ambition, solidifying global political will and leveraging and building bridges between their audiences and work together to drive progress on achieving the SDGs.
• The advocates, hailing from different nations and career fields including entertainment, academia, sport, business and activist organizations, represent the universal character of SDGs.