University Grants Commission (UGC) has launched STRIDE scheme to boost research culture and innovation in colleges and universities. STRIDE stands for Scheme for Trans-disciplinary Research for India’s Developing Economy.
- It will dentify young talent, build capacity, strengthen research culture, support trans-disciplinary research and promote innovation for India’s developing economy and national development.
- This new initiative will seek to support local need-based, socially relevant, nationally important and globally significant research project.
- An advisory Bhushan Patwardhan committee set up by UGC under chairmanship of Prof Bhushan Patwardhan, Vice Chairman, UGC will oversee entire scheme.
- Funding high impact research projects in humanities and Social Sciences via national network of eminent scientists from leading institutions of country. Grant available for this component is up to Rs.1 crore for one High Educational Institute (HEI) and up to Rs.5 crores for multi institutional network.
- STRIDE web portal will be open to receive applications from 31 July 2019.