TN Seshan passed away on November 10, 2019. He was famous for strictly enforcing electoral rules in India when he was Chief Election Commissioner of the country. He was 86. Seshan had played an important role in electoral reforms in the country in the 1990s.
• TN Seshan’s full name was Tirunellai Narayana Iyer Seshan. He was 10th Chief Election Commissioner of India. He held this position from 12 December 1990 to 11 December 1996.
• He made many changes in the Indian election system. The voter ID card was also started in India by him. It was a famous quote about him that, ‘Politicians are afraid of only two things, one God and the second TN Seshan’.
• He completed his graduation from Christian College, Madras. He was also a lecturer for some time in the same college. In 1997, he contested the presidential election but defeated by KR Narayanan. He also wrote the books ‘The Degeneration of India’ and ‘A Heart Full of Burden’. TN Seshan was awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1996.
• TN Seshan was known for his tough stance. He changed the face of Election Commission during his tenure. Elections were all about money and muscle power in India but when Seshan became the CEC he changed the scenario.
• TN Seshan appointed special election observers in all states to observe clean and transparent elections in the country. He checked on election spending to ensure fewer cases of money power and bribery during elections.
• TN Seshan strictly enforced the electoral rules in the country prohibit liquor distribution, bribing and muscle power.