Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports, Kiren Rijiju gave information about the Target Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme, during a written reply in the Rajya Sabha on 18th Nov 19.
- The Target Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme was formulated in July 2014, under the ambit of the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF).
- The scheme aims to identify and prepare potential players for the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- A “High priority category” has been created to focus on those players who have won medals in the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games or in which India has a good chance of winning medals in Olympics.
- Nine sports disciplines are included in the high priority category: Athletics, Badminton, Hockey, Shooting, Tennis, Weightlifting, Wrestling, Archery and Boxing.
- About 54% of the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) is incurred on TOP Scheme.