Great Britain defeated India in the finals by 2-1 in the 9th edition of the Sultan of Johor Cup 2019, an international men’s under-21 field hockey tournament, was held at Johor Bahru, Malaysia. It was their 3rd title.
- In their road to final, Great Britain had scored just 8 goals in comparison to India’s 23 but the 2018 title-holders have conceded just 5, while India conceded as many as a 12 goals in 5 matches.
- Top scorer(s)– India Shilanand Lakra (5 goals). With five goals to his name, India’s Shilanand Lakra has been one of the standout performers and remained the highest scorer of tournament.
Sultan of Johor Cup :
- It is an international men’s under–21 field hockey tournament. It started in 2011 and this year is the ninth edition of Sultan of Johor Cup. So far, five teams have emerged victorious.
- Great Britain is the most successful team now having won the tournament thrice (2015, 2018 2019), followed India (2013 and 2014) and Australia who have all won the tournament twice.
- In 2019 edition, 6 teams competed in the tournament (including the host nation), namely- India, Australia, Great Britain, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand.