Former Indian Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran is selected for Japan’s Second Highest National Award called ‘The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star’. The Government of Japan recently announced in its 2019 Spring Imperial Decorations, that it will confer ‘The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star’ upon 72-year-old former Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran.
- He will be conferred for his contributions in strengthening strategic ties and enhancing mutual understanding between India and Japan.
- He served as India’s Foreign Secretary from year 2004 to 2006 during which he played an important role in elevating India-Japan relationship to a strategic partnership.
- During his tenure Junichiro Koizumi, (then Japanese Prime Minister) visited India for first time in 5 years.
‘The Order of the Rising Sun’ :
- It is the Japanese Government’s Second Highest National Honour.
- It was established by Japanese Emperor Meiji in 1875.
- It is awarded for an exceptional civil or military merit.