The Reserve Bank of India has proposed to come out with a mobile application to aid visually impaired persons in identifying Indian currency notes. At present, banknotes in the denominations of Rs.10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 2,000 are in circulation, besides Re 1 notes issued by the Government of India.
- Intaglio printing based identification marks for helping the visually challenged in the identification of denomination of banknotes are present in notes of Rs.100 and above.
- The RBI has solicited bids from technology firms for developing the mobile application.
- Around 80 lakh people are likely to benefit by this initiative of RBI.
- The application should be able to identify the denomination of legal tender banknotes of Mahatma Gandhi Series and Mahatma Gandhi (New) series by capturing the image of the notes placed in front of the mobile camera or scrolled across it.
- The mobile application should be searchable via voice option in all app stores.
- The mobile application should be able to identify the banknote denomination in 2 seconds or less.
- It shall provide multilingual support as well as audio notification.