PU Chitra won gold in women’s 1500m at the Asian Athletics Championships in Doha. With the victory Chitra also qualified for the World Championships, which will be held later this year. 23-year-old Chitra clocked 4:14.56s to become the first Indian athlete to defend her Asian Athletics Championships in the 2019 meet.
Chitra had won the gold medal in the women’s 1500m race in the 2017 Asian Athletics Championships held in Bhubaneshwar.
- Dutee Chand clinched the bronze medal in 200-metre sprint after clocking 23.24 seconds.
- With her medal haul, India picked up four medals on the fourth and final day of the competitions, to end at fourth place in the medal tally.
- India bagged 17 medals overall, including 3 gold, 7 silver and 7 bronze medals.
- China tops the medal table of 2019 Asian Athletics Championships with 29 medals in total.
- Bahrain (22 medals) and Japan (18 medals) secured second and third place respectively in medal table.
Asian Athletics Championships :
This is the 23rd edition of the Asian Athletics Championships.It was hosted by the city of Doha in Qatar. 43 nations participated in it from 21st to 24th April 2019.