Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the flagship scheme ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana’ (PMJAY), also known as Ayushman Bharat or the National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM). This is the world’s largest health scheme which will serve a population that equals 27-28 European countries. The beneficiaries are almost equal to the population of Canada, Mexico and US put together.
On the same occasion, the Prime Minister also launched a toll free number 14555 for people to get more information about Ayushma Bharat scheme. The scheme will become operational from September 25, 2018, the birth anniversary of Deendayal Upadhyay.
• Ayushman Bharat, the government-sponsored health insurance scheme, will provide free coverage of up to Rs 5 lakh per family per year in any government or even empanelled private hospitals all over India.
• Launched with an aim to help the poor and the economically deprived, the scheme will be available for 10.74 crore beneficiary families and about 50 crore Indian citizens.
• This scheme will strengthen the healthcare services in India. Around 13000 hospitals in the country have been coordinated for the implementation of the scheme.
• The Ayushman Bharat programme will be funded with 60 percent contribution from the Centre and the remaining from the states.
• The beneficiaries can avail of the benefits in both public and empanelled private facilities. All public hospitals in the States implementing the scheme will be considered empanelled for the Scheme.
• Hospitals belonging to Employee State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) will also be empanelled based on the bed occupancy ratio parameter.