Northeast Frontier Railways (NFR) got the best innovation award in Indian Railways for 2018-19 fiscal.
- The NFR earned the award for designing a device “Plan Bee”, to keep wild elephants away from railway tracks by imitating the buzz of a swarm of honey bees.
- Plan Bee generates an amplified sound of honey bees and acts as an “elephant repellent” audible from 700-800 metres.
- The elephants along the corridor move from the region as they hear the bees sound, and as a result, elephant deaths are avoided.
- With 29 elephant corridors in the NFR, elephant deaths due to train accidents were common in the region.
- NFR has now 46 plan bee devices installed at vulnerable points.