Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has launched stealth frigate INS Nilgiri on 28th September 2019. INS Nilgiri was the lead ship of her class of frigates. Commissioned on 3 June 1972 into the Indian Navy, she was decommissioned in 1996. INS Nilgiri was the first major warship built in India keel up.
- INS Nilgiri is the first ship of Project17A to be launched.
- It is the 1st seven new stealth frigates of the Indian Navy with upgraded weapons, sensors and features.
- The effort is made avoid disruption of seaborne trade due to terrorism, piracy or conflict.
- 70% of India’s trade by value and 95% by volume is taking place through the sea route and the strategic effort to safeguard the route is been made through INS Nilgiri.
- Indian Ocean region is the epicentre of activity and plays a big role in the geopolitical and geostrategic dimension.
- Project 17A frigates has much more advanced stealth features from its design derivative of the Shivalik class stealth frigates.