Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India has been conferred the Skoch Award for National Significance at an event held in New Delhi. Secretary, Ministry of New Renewable Energy Shri Anand Kumar received the award.
- The Ministry was conferred with the award considering its purpose and critical role played in installing about 73 GW renewable energy capacities in the country.
- The award was given at 54th SKOCH Summit on the State of Power, Oil and Gas and was organized by SKOCH Group, India’s topmost independent think-tank for socio-economic issues with a focus on inclusive growth.
- Presently 21% of the total installed capacity comes from renewable energy source and the sector has been able to provide one billion units of electricity in the country within the year.
- Currently India ranks 4th in the world in wind energy capacity and 5th in solar & total renewable energy capacity installed in the world.
- In a latest push, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) had announced its plans for 23 GW of solar projects in Leh and Ladakh regions of Jammu & Kashmir.