The Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched an initiative of online professional development of 1.5 million higher education faculty using the Massive Open Online Course platform “SWAYAM”.
- In the first phase, 75 discipline-specific National Resource Centres have been chosen to prepare online training material.
- The training material will be focused on latest developments and new & emerging trends.
- A wide range of institutions like IISc, IITs, NITs, State Universities, IIITs, Open Universities etc. have been identified as NRCs.
- These NRCs cover disciplines like: Social Sciences, Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Design & Manufacturing, Humanities, Language Teaching, Commerce, Management, Education Planning and Administration, Public Policy, Leadership & Governance, Library & Information Science, Astronomy & Astrophysics, Assessment and Evaluation, Pedagogy and research methods , cutting edge areas of Nano-sciences, Internet of Things, etc.
- This initiative enables all in-service teachers to access the online refresher course. The NRCs will develop the Refresher Module by 15th June each year.
- The training materials will be uploaded and will be available through SWAYAM to all the teachers from 1st October each year.
- Based on the response, the course could be repeated in the following January. NRC will announce the list of the faculty who have been certified by 31st December. Regulations will be issued by UGC for Career Progression.