Justice (Retired) KS Radhakrishnan, a former Supreme Court judge, was appointed as the Member of the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal of London. He will serve a 4-year term from June 1, 2019 to May 31, 2023 as a Member of the Tribunal. The Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal resolves disputes of the Commonwealth organisations, international or intergovernmental.
Justice (Retired) KS Radhakrishnan :
• Radhakrishnan began his legal career by enrolling as an advocate in 1983 in Kerala.
• During his practice years, he appeared as Standing Counsel for Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala State Cooperative Rubber Marketing Federation, State Bank of India and State Trading Corporation of India.
• He served as the Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court and Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
• Radhakrishnan served as a Judge of the Supreme Court for five years from November 2009 to May 2014.
• As a Supreme Court judge, Radhakrishnan dealt with some famous cases such as SEBI v Sahara case, 2014 Jallikattu ruling, etc.
Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal :
Based in London, Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal (CSAT) functions under a Statute agreed by Commonwealth governments
• It hears applications brought by staff of the Commonwealth Secretariat, Commonwealth Secretariat or any person who is in contract with the Commonwealth Secretariat.
• The Tribunal entertains only such cases in which organisations agree to surrender to its jurisdiction.
• CSAT has a total of eight members, comprising the President and 7 Members.