Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched a year-long series of programmes on 12th August 2019, at the birth centenary of space scientist Dr Vikram Sarabhai.
- Dr Vikram Sarabhai is the founder of ISRO as a Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in 1947.
- The inaugural function of the year-long programme was organized at Gujarat University, Ahmedabad which is the birthplace of Dr Vikram Sarabhai.
- Programmes including competitions for school children, space exhibitions, journalism awards and speeches by eminent personalities would be conducted across 100 selected cities from 12th August 2019.
- The yearlong celebration will end on 12th August 2020.
- During the inaugural ceremony, a commemorative coin has been unveiled along with a unique “Space on Wheels” exhibition inside the bus was also inaugurated.
- Dr Vikram Sarabhai also is known as the father of Indian Space Program and a Coffee Table Book and a photo album of on life was unveiled on the occasion by ISRO.
- Dr Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai was an Indian Scientist, astronomer, and physicist. He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1966 and the Padma Vibhushan (posthumously) in 1972.