The 5th annual International Day of Yoga (IDY) was observed on June 21, 2019. There are two themes for World Yoga Day 2019 , United Nation has declared theme as “Yoga for Climate Action” and Ministry of Ayush , India has declared theme for Yoga Day is ” Yoga for Heart“. The first International Day of Yoga was celebrated in the year 2015 at RajPath in New Delhi. The day was declared by the United States General Assembly (UNGA).
- The word ‘yoga’ was derived from Sanskrit, which means to join or unite, symbolizing the union of body and consciousness.
- The main yoga day event was held at Prabhat Tara ground, Ranchi, Jharkhand. Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the gathering and performed Yoga asana along with 40,000 participants.
- President Ram Nath Kovind participated in the Yoga day event organised at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu participated in the Yoga Day celebrations organised by Brahma Kumaris at Red Fort, New Delhi.
- Speaker of Lok Sabha Om Birla practised Yoga along with the Members of Parliament (MPs) in the Parliament House complex.
- The programmes were also held at Nehru Park, Lodhi Garden, Talkatora Garden, Yamuna Sports Complex, Swarna Jayanti Park – Rohini and Dwarka Sector – 11.
- Prime Minister’s Award for outstanding contribution for promotion and development of Yoga were given on the occasion of IDY 2019. On the occasion of the 2nd International Day in 2016, PM Narendra Modi had announced the institution of awards for the promotion and development of Yoga.