The United Nations Environment has awarded India’s Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) with the Asia Environment Enforcement Award, 2018 for the excellent work done by the Bureau in combating transboundary environmental crime.
The Asia Environment Enforcement Awards publicly recognise and celebrate excellence in enforcement by government officials and institutions and teams combating transboundary environmental crime in Asia.
• The awards are given to outstanding individuals or government organisations and teams that demonstrate excellence and leadership in enforcement of national laws to combat transboundary environmental crime in one of the following eligibility criteria areas: collaboration, impact, innovation, integrity and gender leadership.
• India’s Wildlife Crime Control Bureau has been conferred the award in the Innovation category.
• The bureau has adopted innovative enforcement techniques that have dramatically increased enforcement of transboundary environmental crimes in India.
• It has developed an online Wildlife Crime Database Management System to get real-time data in order to help analyse trends in crime and devise effective measures to prevent and detect wildlife crimes across India.
Wildlife Crime Control Bureau :
The Wildlife Crime Control Bureau is a statutory multi-disciplinary body established by the Government of India under the Ministry of Environment and Forests in June 2007, to combat organised wildlife crime in the country.
• The Bureau has its headquarters in New Delhi and five regional offices at Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai and Jabalpur.
• Under Section 38 (Z) of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972, the WCCB is mandated to collect and collate intelligence related to organised wildlife crime activities and to disseminate the same to state and other enforcement agencies for immediate action so as to apprehend the criminals.
• The bureau is also mandated to establish a centralised wildlife crime data bank, assist foreign authorities and international organisations concerned to facilitate co-ordination and universal action for wildlife crime control and help in the capacity building of the wildlife crime enforcement agencies for scientific and professional investigation into wildlife crimes and assist State Governments to ensure success in prosecutions related to wildlife crimes.