The Indian Air Force (IAF) on October 8, 2018 celebrated 86th Air Force Day with an aim to pay rich tribute to the untiring efforts and supreme sacrifice made by veterans, who laid a strong foundation for the service.
• To mark the occasion and in keeping up with the tradition, the IAF performed a grand Parade cum Investiture Ceremony at the Air Force Station, Hindan (Ghaziabad). Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa, Chief of the Air Staff reviewed the parade.
• The parade was followed by a breath taking display by the Air Warrior Drill Team, wherein the team showcased their weapon handling skills and carried out diverse manoeuvers with their rifles followed by a stunning air display by wide range of IAF aircraft.
• The air display was carried out by flag bearing sky divers of famous Akash Ganga Team, who jumped from an An-32 aircraft.
• Flypast comprised of Mi-17 V5 and Rudra helicopters, Dornier, C-130J and C-17 transport aircraft, Jaguar, Bison, MiG-29, Mirage-2000 and SU-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
• Dakota, Tiger Moth and Harvard of the IAF Vintage flight also participated in the flypast.
• Post flypast, Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) carried out aerobatic display in front of the audience.
• The Ambassadors of Indian Air Force, Surya Kiran Aerobatics Team (SKAT), comprising nine Hawk 132 aircraft and the Helicopter aerobatics team Sarang, charmed the audience with breath taking formation aerobatics display.
Air Force Day :
The Air Force Day was officially celebrated for the first time on October 8, 1932 as an auxiliary air force of Indian Empire.The day was observed to increase the awareness about the importance of Indian Air Force in any organisation of the national security. The Indian Air Force has been involved in various operations and wars such as World War II, Sino-Indian War, Operation Cactus, Operation Vijay, Kargil War, Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, Indo-Pakistani War of 1947, Congo Crisis, Operation Poomalai and Operation Pawan.