Global Innovation Index 2018 (GII- 2018) was launched in India in New Delhi. The event was organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) along with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), in collaboration with Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP). CII is one of the founding partners of GII.
- Global Innovation Index 2018 is the 11th edition of GII. The theme for GII 2018 is: “Energizing the World with Innovation”.
- The GII 2018 analyses the energy innovation landscape of the next decade and identify possible new technological breakthroughs and innovative approaches and their sources at the country, region, or firm level.
- It also analyses innovations in energy production, energy storage, energy transport and distribution, and energy consumption.
- India’s rank on the Global Innovation Index (GII) is 57 in 2018. It has improved from 60 in 2017. India has been consistently improving in GII ranking in the last 2 years.
- Switzerland tops the table followed by Netherlands , Sweden , Uk and singapore.
- Dr Anil Kakodkar, former Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission, is author of the India chapter in the report.
- The GII is co-published by Cornell University, INSEAD, and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).