This is a comprehensive current affairs article in which we will cover today’s many important news from National News, International, Economy, Environment and Ecology, Defence and Security, Banking Awareness, Appointments, Awards, Science and Technology, Sports News and many more.
1. The Govt. launches ‘Swachh Survekshan 2019’ – a nationwide cleanliness survey
- The Minister of state MoHUA, Hardeep S Puri launched the 4th edition of annual cleanliness of Urban India.
- The Survey will be conducted across 4000+ cities between 4th to 28th January 2019.
- The survey is completely paperless and digital.
- For the first time, the survey will be conducted without giving any prior information.
- The data will be collected from 4 broad sources:
- Service Level Progress
- Direct Observation
- Citizens Feedback
MoHUA has introduced ‘Star Rating of the Garbage Free cities’ which contains 12 parameters and 5% weightage has been allotted to ‘Open Defection Free’ (ODF) Certification.
The Survey will contain 5000 marks as compared to 4000 marks of Swachh Survekshan 2018.
Mysuru and Indore had been ranked as the No. 1 city in Swachh Survekshan 2016, 2017 and 2018 respectively.
- 35 cities have been given ODF+
- 7 cities that have ODF++ certification are Indore, Ujjain, Khargone, Shahganj, Rajnandgaon, Ambikapur and Bhilai.
2. The Govt. notifies 9 member Committee for implementation of Clause VI of Assam Accord
Ministry of Home Affairs has notified a High-level committee of nine members under the chairmanship of retired IAS Shri M.P. Bezbarauah for implementation of Clause VI of the Assam Accord. The Committee will submit its report within 6 months from the date of notification.
The Clause VI of Assam Accord envisaged that appropriate constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards should be provided to protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the people of Assam.
- The State Government of Assam will provide the necessary administrative and logistics support to the committee.
- The effectiveness of actions since 1985 will be examined to implement clause 6 of the Assam Accord.
- The Committee will assess the required quantum of reservation of seats in the state Assembly and local bodies for the people of the state.
- The Committee is also tasked to assess the requirement of measures that need to be taken to protect Assamese and other indigenous languages of Assam.
3. Andhra CM Chandrababu Naidu unveils schemes for Unemployed Brahmins
Andhra Pradesh is the first state of the country which has established a Brahmin Welfare Corporation which aims to help poor people of Brahmin families by providing financial assistance for education, coaching, entrepreneurship, skill development and welfare and culture.
- Brahmin youths who had undergone training as drivers were given Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire.
- The state government has started at least half a dozen schemes for Brahmins and around 10,000 poor Brahmins have been given loans and subsidies.
4. Odisha: Under the Mission Shakti scheme, SHGs were given 0% interest loan
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced interest-free loans of up to Rs. 3 lakh to 6 lakhs ‘Women Self Help Groups’ (WSHGs). This will benefit about 70 lakh women in Odisha.
5. 30th Edition of 9-day long International Kite Festival kicks off in Ahmedabad
The International Kite Festival (Uttarayan) marks the day when winter begins to turn into summer, according to the Indian calendar. This year’s Kite festival is inaugurated by Gujarat Governor O P Kohli. This year, the Gujarat government has also decided to organise a kite festival at Kevadia, the site of the Statue of Unity, a memorial to Sardar Patel and the also the world’s tallest statue.
6. Secunderabad Railway Station, in Hyderabad, became the first railway station of South Central Railway (SCR) zone to hoist a huge tricolour on a 100-foot tall pole. SCR has taken the initiative to hoist the National Flag at 4 other ‘A1’ category Railway Stations — Kacheguda, Hyderabad, Vijaywada and Tirupati.
7. Airport Authority of India (AAI) signed MoU with Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering and Research (SAMEER) for joint research programs in the field of Communication Navigation and Surveillance (CNS).
8. Iranian council known as the Expediency Council approved an anti-money laundering bill to ease trade
i. This bill will be in line with the standards set by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF). Iran is alone with North Korea on the FATF’s blacklist — although the Paris-based organisation has suspended countermeasures since June 2017 while Iran works on reforms.
9. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued a notification for all authorised non-bank Prepaid Payment Instrument (PPI) Issuers in order to limit the liability of Customers in unauthorised electronic payment transactions in Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPIs) comprising mobile wallets, prepaid payments cards, and paper vouchers such as Sodexo.
10. Veteran journalist Dinu Randive was conferred with the lifetime achievement award for his lifelong contributions in journalism, who started his journalistic career in 1956.
11. Ministry of Women & Child Development announced that the Union Minister, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi would confer National Awards to 97 Anganwadi Workers(AWWs) for Exceptional Achievements for the year 2017-18, under Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) on 07th of January 2019, in New Delhi.
12. Kevin Sweeney, the chief of staff of the US Department of Defence, resigned from his position. Kevin Sweeney retired as a Rear Admiral from the US Navy in 2014.
13. Lunar rover Yutu-2 or Jade Rabbit-2 of the Chang’e-4 spacecraft made the first-ever soft landing on the far side of the moon.
14. Ministry of Human Resource Development constituted a task force to look into the circumstances of reported suicides of 49 students, including Dalits and Adivasi students, of residential Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs) between 2013 and 2017.