Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE), Dehradun has signed two Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) with Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) and Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS) to launch ‘Prakriti’ programme. The two MoUs have been signed for a period of 10 years.
- These MoUs aim to make Indian youth more sensitive towards national and global issues of environment and help them become responsible citizens.
- It also seeks to mobilise cadre of youth for raising a peoples’ movement, which is committed to the conservation of forest and environment.
- The collaboration forged through these MoUs will enable transfer of knowledge to students and teachers of KVS and NVS on environment, forest, environmental services and contemporary areas of forestry research through lectures and interactive sessions by ICFRE scientists.
Prakriti programme :
- The main objective of Prakriti programme is to provide platform for school children to learn practical skills towards sustainable use of resources.
- It also aims to promote awareness about forests and environment and stimulate interest among students of KVS and NVS in maintaining balanced environment.
- It also seeks to provide students with skills that reflect care and protection towards forests, environment and society.
Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) :
- It is an autonomous organization under Ministry of Environment and Forests.
- It is headquartered in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- Its functions are to conduct and promote forestry research, transfer technologies developed to states of India and other user agencies and to impart forestry education.
- It has 9 research institutes and 4 advanced centres to cater to research needs of different bio-geographical regions.