Indian Railways Integral Coach Factory (ICF) has surpassed the top Chinese manufacturers after creating a 40% record increase in its production. With this, Indian Railway’s oldest and premier coach manufacturing unit becomes the single largest rail coach manufacturer in the world. ICF has manufactured 2,919 coaches from April 2018 to February 2019 as compared to 2,600 coaches by Chinese manufacturers.
- ICF is rail coaches manufacturer located in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It was inaugurated by first Prime Minister of India Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru in 1955.
- It is owned and operated by Central Government (Union Ministry of Railways) through Indian Railways. It primarily manufactures rolling stock for Indian Railways.
- It manufactures range of coaches, including Linke-Hofmann-Busch (LHB), self-propelled train sets (SPTs) such as electrical multiple units (EMU).
- It also exports railway coaches to other countries including Zambia, Philippines, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, Thailand, Myanmar, Taiwan, Vietnam, Mozambique, Bangladesh, Angola and Sri Lanka.
- It is one of three coach manufacturing facilities of Indian Railways with the other two being Rail Coach Factory, Kapurthala and Modern Coach Factory, Raebareli.