Union housing and urban affairs minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched Swachh Survekshan 2020 League in New Delhi. It will be a cleanliness assessment of cities and towns in India on quarterly basis. It will be integrated with Swachh Survekshan 2020, the 5th edition of the annual cleanliness survey of urban India to be conducted between January – February 2020.
Swachh Survekshan 2020 League :
- It is aimed at “sustaining the on ground performance of cities along with continuous monitoring of service level performance on cleanliness”.
- It will be conducted in three quarters (April- June, July – September and October- December 2019) and will give equal weightage to every quarter based on cities updating their progress on online MIS (Management Information System) and citizens.
- The purpose of quarterly cleanliness assessment is that many cities and towns slip back once they get a decent ranking on cleanliness levels in annual sanitation survey exercise Swachh Survekshan.
- It will have a weightage of 2000 marks for each quarter, which will be evaluated on the basis of monthly updation of SBM-U online MIS by cities along with citizen’s validation on the 12 service level progress indicators through outbound calls.
- The first edition of the annual cleanliness survey was conducted in January 2016. It involved the ranking of 73 cities.
- While Mysuru was judged as the cleanest city in India in the 2016 Swachh Survekshan, Indore was ranked as the cleanest city in India in the last three editions of the annual cleanliness survey.