Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a mobility road map that seeks investments in manufacturing electric vehicles and increased use of public transport for travel. PM Modi also announced that the government will soon come out with a policy on electric vehicles (e-vehicles) and Alternative Fuel Technology to give a boost to e-mobility in India.
Mahindra & Mahindra Chairman Anand Mahindra, Hero MotoCorp Chairman Pawan Munjal and Bharat Forge Chairman Baba Kalyani were among the top Indian automobile industry leaders at the Summit.
• PM Modi stressed that mobility is a key driver of the economy; better mobility reduces the burden of travel and transportation, and can boost economic growth.
• The Prime Minister pitched for investment in the manufacturing of electric vehicles and the required charging infrastructure.
• He stated that the common public transport must be the cornerstone of mobility.
Global Mobility Summit – ‘MOVE’
• India’s first-ever Global Mobility Summit – ‘MOVE’ was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on September 7, 2018. The summit was organised by Niti Aayog.
• The main focus of the summit was to make Indian cities pollution free.
• It was aimed at revolutionising the way people travel in India, along with making mobility more connected, shared and seamless.
• It deliberated on five themes including electrification and alternative fuels, reinventing public transport, goods transport and logistics and data analytics and mobility.