Gagandeep Kang becomes the first Indian woman scientist to be awarded the Fellowship of the Royal Society (FRS), United Kingdom. Gagandeep Kang is a clinician-scientist.She is well known for her key role in the development of Rotavac.
She is currently appointed as the executive director of Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI), Faridabad, Haryana.
- Rotavac is India’s first indigenously developed vaccine for Rotavirus infections, which is responsible for childhood diarrhea.
- It was developed by Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech Limited and Pune-based Serum International.
- Rotavac was licensed for use in India in 2014 and is manufactured by Bharat Biotech International Limited.
- Rotavirus vaccine is a vaccine used to protect against Rotavirus infections.
- Rotavirus is the leading cause of severe diarrhea among young children.
- Rotavac is a live attenuated, monovalent vaccine containing a G9P human strain isolated from an Indian child.
Fellowship of the Royal Society (FRS) :
The award is sponsored by the Royal Society of London.It is the oldest scientific academy since 1663. The award recognizes the individuals who made a substantial contribution to the improvement in fields of natural knowledge, including mathematics, engineering science and medical science.