Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chairman G Satheesh Reddy was awarded honorary fellowship by Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) of United Kingdom (UK) during the Medals and Awards presentation ceremony in London. He is the first Indian recipient of the prestigious award in more than 100 years.
- Society’s highest award is bestowed in recognition of contributions of Reddy towards indigenous design, development and deployment of diversified missile systems, guided weapons, aerospace vehicles as well as avionics technologies in India over the past three decades.
- His pioneering technological contributions has enabled the country to realise frontline military systems and world class missile technologies.
- He spearheaded Mission Shakti, India’s first Anti-Satellite Missile Test (ASAT) mission which demonstrated an extremely high degree of precision and technological prowess, enabling India to join a select group of 4 nations with such capability.
- Honorary Fellowship by Royal Aeronautical Society is one of the world’s highest distinctions for aerospace achievement awarded for only most exceptional contributions to the aerospace profession. It is considered as equivalent to Nobel Prize in the aerospace domain.
- The first Honorary Fellowship was awarded in year 1917. Eminent persons conferred with this award includes doyens of Aerospace such as Orville Wright, aviation pioneer known for inventing airplane with his brother, Wilbur.