Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test fired AKASH-MK-1S missile from ITR , Chandipur, Odhisa. Akash MK 1S is an upgraded version of existing Akash missile with indigenous technology.
Akash MK-1S is a surface to air missile which can neutralize advanced aerial targets. The Akash weapon system has combination of both command guidance and active terminal seeker guidance. Seeker and guidance performance have been consistently established in both the missions.
• This is surface to air anti-aircraft missile with a strike range of 25 km and capability to carry warhead of 60 kilogram.
• It has a launch weight of 720 kg, a diameter of 35 cm and a length of 5.78 metres.
• It can reach an altitude of 18 km and can be fired from both tracked and wheeled platforms.
• The missile is guided by a phased array fire control radar called ‘Rajendra’ which is termed as Battery Level Radar (BLR) with a tracking range of about 60 km.
• The Akash-MK-1S is capable of striking down enemy fighter jets and drones very effectively and accurately.
• The Akash surface-to-air missile was designed to intercept enemy aircraft and missiles from a distance of 18 to 30 km.