US President Donald Trump created history by becoming the first foreign leader to meet Japan’s newly crowned emperor, Emperor Naruhito at Japan’s Imperial Palace. Emperor Naruhito ascended the Chrysanthemum Throne on May 1, marking the beginning of a new era in the Japanese timeline -the Reiwa era.
• The US President and first lady Melania Trump kicked off their formal visit to Japan with greetings with Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako. The President is on a four-day visit to Japan.
• Upon his landing, he was treated to a large welcome ceremony replete with military bands and a group of school children waving US-Japanese flags.
• In the outdoor ceremony, Trump and the first lady, stood on a platform as the national anthems of the two countries were performed. Trump was then received with a guard of honour.
• The ceremony was attended by Emperor Naruhito and the empress along with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his wife Akie and other imperial family members.
• The US President then had a palace visit in the morning, followed by a royal banquet in the evening, hosted by the emperor.