The Documentation Identification Number (DIN) system of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) will come into existence from 8th November 2019.
- The step is aimed at bringing transparency and accountability in the indirect tax administration through the widespread use of information technology.
- The step is taken as per the direction of Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman.
- Now the CBIC communication will have to have a Documentation Identification Number and No communication would be issued without DIN.
- The DIN system is already executed in the direct tax administration.
- Any communication from GST or Custom or Central Excise department without a computer-generated DIN would be treated as invalid.
- The DIN system will provide the taxpayer with a digital facility to verify any communications.