The Cabinet Committee on Security headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the setting up of Defence Space Research Organisation (DSRO). It is a new agency, which will develop sophisticated weapon systems.The approval is aimed to enhance the capabilities of the armed forces to fight wars in space. The agency is expected to be operational by the end of this year.
- The agency will be headed by a Joint Secretary-level scientist.
- DSRO would constitute a team of scientists which would be working in close coordination with the tri-services integrated Defence staff officers.
- DSRO will be entrusted with the task of creating space warfare weapon systems and technologies.
- DSRO will provide technical and research support to its parent organization, the Defence Space Agency (DSA).
- The organization is also charged with finding and implementing defense applications for India’s entire spectrum of space technologies.
Defence Space Research Organisation (DSRO) :
- Defence Space Agency (DSA) will constitute of members from the three services.
- The aim of setting up of DSA is to help the country fight wars in the space.
- DSA is being set up under an Air Vice Marshal-rank officer in Bengaluru.
- It will be gradually taking over the space-related capabilities of the three forces.