Union Cabinet has approved establishment and operationalisation of two new permanent campuses of the Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER) in Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) and Behrampur (Odisha). Cabinet also has approved creation of two posts of Registrar, one in each IISER.
- IISERs will provide top quality science education at undergraduate and postgraduate level, PHDs and Integrated PHDs levels.
- Both IISERs will be constructed on campuses having area of 1,17,000 sqm and shall be completed by December, 2021.
- They will have complete infrastructural facilities for 1,855 students each.
- IISERs will be carrying out research in frontier areas of science and will enable India move towards knowledge economy by attracting best scientific talent as faculty and prepare a strong base of scientific manpower in India.
Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER) :
- IISERs are a group of most premier statutory science education and research institutes in India of national importance.
- ISERs are envisioned to be the IITs of Basics Sciences.
- These institutes were created under The National Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010 (which had amended National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007).
- So far seven IISERs have been established across the country, namely IISER Kolkata (West Bengal), IISER Pune (Maharashtra), IISER Mohali (Punjab), IISER Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), IISER Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala), IISER Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) and IISER Berhampur (Odisha).