Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of National Council for Vocational Education and Training. It will be set up by merging existing regulatory institutions in the skills space – National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) and National Skill Development Agency (NSDA).
National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET) :
- NCVET will regulate functioning of entities engaged in vocational education and training, both long-term and short-term.
- It will also establish minimum standards for functioning of such entities.
- It will be headed by a Chairperson and will have Executive and Non-Executive Members.
- It will follow best practices of regulatory processes and ensure that it performs its functions professionally and as per applicable laws.
- It will utilize the existing infrastructure and resources of NCVT and NSDA.
Features and Benifits :
- Recognize and regulate awarding bodies, assessment bodies and skill related information providers.
- Approve qualifications developed by awarding bodies and Sector Skill Councils (SSCs).
- The establishment of NCVET by merging NCVT and NSDA will lead to improvement in quality and market relevance of skill development programs.
- It will also improve credibility of vocational education and training by encouraging greater private investment and employer participation in the skills space.
- Indirectly regulate vocational training institutes through awarding bodies and assessment agencies.