Gujarat Shops and Establishments (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 2019 passed by Gujarat Assembly which came into force from May 1, 2019 will allow the shops and other businesses in the state to operate 24×7.
- The Act was passed by Gujarat Assembly earlier in February 2019.
- The Act replaced the Gujarat Shops and Establishments Act, 1948 which prevented shops and other businesses from operating between 12 to 6 a.m.
- Now shops and other commercial entities which employ more than 10 workers will have to get registered one-time only with no need for renewal and if they employ less than 10 workers then there will be no need of registration.
- Under this new act, workers will get twice the regular salary for working. Previously, it was one-and-a-half-times.
- According to the provision of the new act, working hours for women employees can only be between 6am to 9pm, which could be relaxed only if a written request is made and authorities have considered the safety issues for women.