Professor Balram Bhargava, Director General of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) jointly won the 2019 Dr Lee Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health at the 72nd World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland. He won the award for his achievements as an innovator, clinician, researcher and trainer.
- It was established in 2008.
- It was awarded to institutions, individuals, governmental organizations and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), who have made an outstanding contribution towards public health.
- It aims to reward work the done that has extended far beyond the call of normal duties. It is not intended as a reward for excellent performance of duties normally expected of an official position of a governmental or intergovernmental institution.
- It is an annual award which is conferred at a special ceremony held during the World Health Assembly.
- It consists of a plaque from Founder and a sum of money which will not exceed USD 100 000.