France has honored the former Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) AS Kiran Kumar for his highest civilian honor, ‘Chevalier DE L’ordre National De La Legend Honor’. This award has been given to Kiran Kumar for his outstanding contribution in the space cooperation between the two countries.
Significantly, ‘Chevalier DE L’ordre National De La Legend Honor’ was started in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte. This is France’s highest civilian honor. This is given to those people who do specific work for the country. This honor is also given to the citizens of other countries.
This award was awarded to actor Shahrukh Khan and Amitabh Bachchan in the year 2007 and in the year 2014. Indian citizens such as Amartya Sen, Ravi Shankar, Zubin Mehta, Lata Mangeshkar, JRD Tata and Ratan Tata have been awarded ‘Legend Honor’ by this award.
AS Kiran Kumar:
- AS Kiran Kumar is a famous scientist from India. He was the chairman of ISRO from 2015 to 2018. Prior to this, he was Director of Space Application Center, Ahmedabad.
- They had earlier brought the country’s space research to new heights. He was one of the prominent people who led the two countries’ strategic cooperation.
- Kiran Kumar started his career in ISRO’s Space Application Center in the year 1975. He later became the Associate Director of this center and in March 2012, he became Director of Space Application Center.
- They contributed significantly to the construction and development of Electro-Optical Imaging Sensors for Airborne, from Bhaskar TV payload to current mars color camera, thermal infrared imaging spectrometer and methane sensor for Mars equipment of India’s Mars Orbiter spacecraft.
- In addition to the Mars Arbiter spacecraft sent to Mars, they successfully made strategies in setting up Mars in orbit. They have also made significant contributions to the studies related to land, oceans, environments, and planets.
- He represented ISRO in International Fora such as the International Meteorological Organization, the Earth Monitoring Satellite Committee and the Indo-US Joint Working Group on Civil Space Cooperation.