Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare launched an online software for processing applications for Agmark quality certification mark, for agricultural products. It was launched by Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh. Agmark is a certification mark that assures conformity to the set of standards approved by Government agency- Directorate of Marketing and Inspection.
- It is legally enforced by Agricultural Produce (Grading and Marking) Act of 1937 (and ammended in 1986).
- The present AGMARK standards cover quality guidelines for 205 different commodities spanning variety of cereals, pulses, vegetable oils, essential oils, fruits & vegetables, and semi-processed products like vermicelli.
- The term agmark was coined by joining the words ‘Ag’ to mean agriculture and ‘mark’ for certification mark.
- This term was introduced originally in bill presented in the Parliament for the Agricultural Produce (Grading and Marking) Act.
Online system is being implemented across the country to conduct quality control functions. It will be available 24×7. It also has provisions for online receipt of fees from the applicants as payments can be received in digital mode through bharatkosh.gov.in website.
Directorate of Marketing and Inspection (DMI) :
- DMI is an attached Office of Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare under Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
- It was set up in 1935 to implement agricultural marketing policies and programmes for integrated development of marketing of agricultural and other allied produce in country with view to safeguard interests of farmers as well as the consumers.
- It maintains a close liaison between Central and State Governments.