The first ever Khadi Haat of India was launched in New Delhi by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission(KVIC) and New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC), to mark the 69th Republic Day celebrations. The Khadi Haat was inaugurated on January 25 by the Union Minister of State Giriraj Singh in Connaught Place, New Delhi.
- The prominent members present at the event were New Delhi Lok Sabha MP Meenakshi Lekhi, KVIC Chairman V K Saxena, NDMC Chairman Naresh Kumar and noted fashion designer Ritu Beri.
- The Union Minister of State Giriraj Singh highlighted the importance of Khadi and showcased its presence right from the sleepy hamlets to mega malls of cosmopolitan cities.
- Efforts are being made by the Khadi and Villages Industries Commission popularise its products across the globe through its sales outlets and marketing avenues.
- Meenakshi Lekhi in her speech said that Khadi is a novel idea and everyone should try to propagate it across the globe.
- She appreciated the efforts of NDMC and KVIC in her address.
- In this Khadi Haat, the entrepreneurs under Prime Minister Employment Generation Program (PMEGP) will get an opportunity to display and sell their exquisite products.
- This will provide a better platform and an effective source of earning for the artisans